Quantumom: A Brief History
Sometime in the 90s, during a tour of Bandarban, Gurujee Shahid El Bukhari Mahajataq came across the area that is now Quantumom. Back then, all there was were a few burnt hills with a smattering of weeds. Yet he was struck by the intensity of life force in the area, and felt the promise of the place. He acquired the land, first constructed the Dhayn Ghor (meditation room), then the main bungalow. Later, he undertook initiatives to improve to lives of the local people. Shishukanon, a residential school for the deprived children of the region was established. Medical camps were organized. For the first time in their lives, local people met and received treatment
from a properly trained medical doctor.
- The first Dhyan Ghor (meditation hall) is constructed.
- Part of the Quantamom area in 1998, an ashen lifeless hill.
- Today, the same hill is the colorful Rohom Giri. (Hill of Blessing)
- Murong Ghorami immersed in construction work.
- A few more structures are added, including the main bungalow Rahmatan, an office room, and the Hujra (Gurujee Shahid El Bukhari Mahajataq stays in this cottage when he visits Quantumom. It is now called Mukhtaran ).
- The activities of Quantum Shishukanon, a school for local disadvantaged children, informally starts in November.
- Dr. Muniruzzaman, a devoted Quantum Pro-master, conducts a forty day medical camp starting from May.
- The resort’s own electricity and water supply systems, consisting of generators, pumps, tanks and tube wells, are set up.
- Modern toilets are constructed.
- Bamboo stages and platforms, named Bodhi Moncho, Hawa Moncho, Takhte Jamali, and Takhte Kamali, are added at various spots in the resort to enable the visitors to meditate am
ong natural surroundings.
- The Alpha Setu (Alpha Bridge) is constructed.
- Attractive natural sites in and around the resort are identified and named, including Jable Shams, Bodhi (enlightenment) Falls, Hayat (longevity) Falls , Abe Shefa ( Spring of Healing), Abe Kudrot ( Spring of Glory), Mojnu Hammam, Krishno Lake,and Chicking Phak
- The activities of Quantum Shishukanon formally start from January.
2002 - 2004:
For the first time, Quantumom is opened to the members of the Quantum family. The foundation begins to organize the meditation festival (dhayan utshob) every year. The tradition still continues in the form of Quantum Safari. Gurujee and many members of the Quantum family begin to observe Eid ul Adha in Lama, and distribute the meat of the sacrificed animal amongst the local people. Several other manchas (meditation platforms) are built in various locations in the resort for visitors and spiritual seekers.
- The first meditation festival (dhayan utshab) is held from February 24-26.
- Shishukanon students participate in the Victory Day Parade and Display Competitions in Bandarban district for the first time, and win the first and third prizes respectively.
- Several more meditation stages and platforms are added, including Takhta Tazalli, Progga Moncho on Jable Shams, Bibek Moncho, Koruna Moncho, and Momota Moncho.
- The Alokaion Hrod (Luminous Lake) is named.
- Two more meditation stages called Proshanto Moncho and Zen Moncho are added.
- The Dhayan Ghor ( Meditation Hall) is reconstructed.
- Quantaion e Khatme Quran is organized in Lama for the first time.
The infrastructure of the resort gradually develops.
- A playground is constructed for the children of Shishukanon.
- The 3600 square feet Darbar Hall is constructed.
- Solar panels are set up for electricity supply.
- Several residential buildings are constructed, including Mohol Shopnan, Alishan, Behtaran, Havilan, and Purban (now called Husnan).
- Two more bridges called Alokaion and Quanta are added.
- A 3 acre area is fenced in to create the Kantaran Wildlife Sanctuary.
- The Abdullah Abu Sayeed library is inaugurated.
The process of infrastructure development continues. The whole resort is connected through brick pathways.
- A school building for Shishukanon is constructed in Valley Iqran (This building is now serving as one of the residential hostels for Shishukanon students)
- The Abdullah Abu Sayeed library is shifted to a newly constructed building.
- Shafian, the hospital, is shifted to a new site.
- Stairs and brickways connecting the various spots of the resort are constructed.
- Dhayan Ghor ( Meditaton Hall) and Rohom Giri ( Hill of Blessing) are redecorated.
- A charming outdoor dining area is added next to Havilan.
- The creation of sculptures and other artwork begins.
- A two day tour of the resort, called Lama Fateha and Tour Program, starts from April. The program is now called Quantum Safari and is immensely popular.
- A residential hall for the Shishukanon students, called the M R Khan Hall, is constructed
- Several other residential buildings, called Humaran/Jamaran/Roshidan, Purban, Shamaran, Jabilan, Mahilan, Akhlakan and an office building Doftaran, is added
- Shopnan, a school for non residential students starts operating
- Dhyan Utsab ( Meditation Festival) is held for the last time
The resort area continues to expand, and buildings and structures continue to be added. At the same time, the organizational and institutional structures of the resort are strengthened.
- A new school building for Shishukanon is constructed on top of Giri Fikran
- Purban 2, another residential building, is added
- An amphitheater called Oikotan ( Harmony) is constructed
- Shishukanon students participate in the National School Level Kho Kho Championships for the first time and become joint winners
- Shishukanon students participate in the Victory Day Parade and Display Competitions at the divisional level in Chittagong for the first time and become champions in both categories
- Quantum Polli is renamed Quantamom
- In nearby Lombakhola the Shobujaion nursery is set up, where more than one hundred thousand different types of plants are planted.