In 1996, Quantum Foundation took its first step in the field of voluntary blood donation by creating a mobile donor pool. But the Quantum Voluntary Blood Donation Program in its current form began in 2000 with the establishment of a modern blood bank. In 2003, a blood component separator (Centrifuge Machine), an Elisa Machine for screening, a refrigerator capable of generating temperatures as low as (–) 90 degrees Celsius, and a platelet incubator for storing platelet were added to the Lab.
Over the last few years Quantum Voluntary Blood Donation Program has grew into one of the largest blood programs in the country. In 2000, when we first began, we supplied only 1564 units of blood in the whole year. Today, our average monthly supply of blood and blood components is more than 5,700 units.
Safety Above All
Uncompromising attitude towards safety has made Quantum Voluntary Blood Donation Program one of the leading blood donation programs in Bangladesh and helped earn the trust of the physicians and international experts alike.
- Every unit of blood and/or blood components is collected from ‘voluntary’ donors
- Every unit of blood collected is put through the five screening tests mandated by the World Health Organization: for AIDS, Jaundice or Viral Hepatitis B and C, Syphilis, and Malaria. Samples are discarded and destroyed even if there is a very slight indication of disease or if the screening yields inconclusive results.
- Blood is stored in FDA approved high quality CPDA-1 bags and stored in a specific temperature.
- Every unit of blood is put through the rigorous, three phase compatibility test, (at room temperature, at 37 degree Celsius, and Coomb’s test) before blood is supplied. About 5% of patients risk being harmed if this 3-stage cross matching test is not performed
- The Quantum Lab is managed by our own dedicated staff and experts and is equipped with all necessary equipment including a blood component separator (centrifuge machine), a modern Elisa machine for screening, a refrigerator capable of generating temperatures as low as (–)90 degrees Celsius, and a platelet incubator for storing platelet. <
Special Services for Our Donors
We have the following special services for our donors:
- Each donor gets five screening reports (for AIDS, Hepatitis B and C, Syphilis, and Malaria) free every time s/he donates blood.
- Immediately after the donation, the donor gets a donor card and a pocket telephone index.
- For each unit of blood donated, the donor will receive a unit of blood without any service charge for screening whenever he needs. For every additional unit, he has to pay only 50% of the regular service charge.
- For his/her family members (including parents, spouse, and children) the donor gets a 20% discount on service charge.
- If a donor has donated at least 3 times and pledges to be a life long donor, he receives a special commemorative plaque along with a special ID card and certificate. <
- Those who have donated at least 10 times automatically become members of the Lifelong Blood Donor Silver Club. Members of this club are honored with a special medal, ID card and certificate.
- Free medical counseling is available via phone 24 hours a day 7 days a week for our donors.
We have established a very promising organ called the 'Communication Organ' to help convert first time donors into a 2nd time donors, 2nd time donors into 3rd time donors and so on. This organ consists of ten expert communicators who, based on information from the donor database, call up donors 4 months after every donation, inquire about their well-being and try to motivate them to come and donate blood in the blood bank. In addition, they inform the donors about the reports of the five basic screening tests and also greet them on their birthdays. If a donor is suffering from any health problems, they request them to come and avail the free medical services offered by Quantum for all blood donors and their first line relatives. The purpose is to create a long-term relationship with the blood donors so that they continue to donate blood at least 3 or 4 times a years till the age of 60.
A large portion of our blood is collected through blood camps. We organized 180 camps in 2009 alone. In the last 9 years thousands of blood donors have willingly donated blood in blood camps organized in cooperation with various markets; voluntary organizations; social, political, cultural and religious organizations; Dhaka University, BUET, private universities and other educational institutions.
We also organize blood camps on special days such as the International Mother Language Day, Independence Day, Bangla New Year, and various religious occasions.